#1 It’s intense.
The heave of emotion could be compared to that of a free-fall ride at the fair.
#2 It’s dangerous
Someone should have warned me or maybe they did about the hazards of being a #boymom.
#3 It’s AWESOME & it’s NOT
Like the old Jerry Reed song,
When you’re hot, you’re hot
And when you’re not, you’re not
It’s like that except in parenting boys
When it’s good, it’s good
And when it’s not, it’s not.
Like one time on Mother’s Day when a little boy lost self-control because his brother wouldn’t open a pasture gate. In fact, the little boy got so enraged that he hammered the gas on the four-wheeler in such an abrupt fashion that it launched the destructive machine dead center of the little boy’s mother’s beautiful hot pink, crepe myrtle that was ALMOST ready to bloom. A tree she loved dearly because of the way it towered the entrance to her vegetable garden. A scenario that upset the little boy’s mother so terribly on MOTHER’S DAY that she had to get in her car and drive to her sister’s house and cry lest the mom-bomb explode and she say non-G-rated things that would be sure to scare the little boy.
Or that time a little boy’s mother had a friend over to her house for the very first time. A friend so sweet and completely startled to hear such a commotion coming from the mother’s backyard pond. When what to the friend & mother’s eyes should appear…but a tiny-white-hiny-perched on the edge of the kayak and a little boy who had apparently heard and responded to the call of nature ..relieving himself-right-there-in-the pond of not #1 but # 2!
Other noteworthy mentions to the up and coming #boymom
- Boys are crude and rude and everything in between. They love bodily fluid and noises and if you want them to practice good manners it is an hourly battle some days. Be ready. Fight on boymom, fight on!
- Boys don’t bathe even when they do. Translated: wash clothes are only shower props. Boys will not USE them unless you make them and sometimes- like most of the time if you really want them clean and presentable it’s best to scrub them yourself.
- Boys are fearless and lots of days- like almost every day they do dumb things. Case and point: like move the trampoline at night to the edge of the porch so they can leap from the porch railing as if it were a tall, tall building in order to gain the desired momentum to catapult themselves on and then OFF of the trampoline in a flying-like fashion.
- Boys love slime and creatures that produce slime.
- Boys catch and trap things and beg you for just-one-more-pet.
- When boys are around other boys the testosterone levels go straight to the brain thus blocking all rhyme & reason -if there is any to begin with..
If you aren’t scared yet, you should be because there are more, so much more stinky-smelling things like bullfrog tadpoles in their bedrooms beside their beds in old pickle jars and cut-up fish on your back porch considered by the boys as turtle food in waiting and smelly, oily, plastic fishing worms under and on occasion in their beds.
There’s# boymom love.
#4 It’s deep
A love so immeasurably deep and so very, very wide…
A love from the mother for her sons that even the wordiest of mother’s is left speechless.
A reciprocated, fierce love from the boys to their mom shown in the simplest ways:
A hand-picked bouquet of weeds from the yard..
A hand-drawn picture of the mom as the queen, with a courtyard of boys, and dogs..
A bag regifted gifts that he gathered from the house on Mother’s Day that includes an old Bible because his momma loves God and a packet of printed birds because he knows, “how much you love bright colors”…
It’s the bear hugs at night as she tucks her rascals in bed ..
the sweet whispers of “I love you all the way to Heaven” that pierce the heart of the boymom erasing the musings of each day…
that keep her humble and reminded that being a boymom is nothing short of sheer awesomeness <3
with a heart so full,
thank you for reading friends
I hope your Mother’s day was fantabulous
PS-Please feel free to add your own boymom story or tidbit for the new and upcoming moms out there in the comment section below 🙂