In a right-now-world, some things take time said the woman who declared she was writing a book and still hasn’t two years later.
Let’s play a quick Q & A game for sanity sake, okay? I’ll pitch you a few questions, and you leave your answers in a comment. Ready?
- How long is too long to put something off?
- How concerned are you with what others think of you?
- What keeps you from pursuing your dream?
I know, number three is a little heavy. Oh here’s another:
How often would something have to flow through your thought stream before you decided enough is enough? Or wait, is that question the same as the first?
For the love of sanity, enough is enough.
Let’s play pretend because apparently I haven’t had enough adult interaction today after teaching decimals to the tenth, building a volcano out of newspaper, feeding the people here three square meals from a scarce pantry because the grocery store outing is just (*&^*&^%*^$, wrangling dogs and boys from the pond, refereeing an afternoon play date with my nephews with elevated levels of aggressive testosterone, and last but not least, basketball practice just before finding melted Laffy Taffy in the dryer. #goodtimes.
I digress. Let’s get back to our virtual field trip. We’re at the local coffee shop because the smell of coffee is therapeutic. There’s a little folk music in the background. You’re having something delicious, and I’m having a pitcher of white chocolate mocha because I need it.
Now, tell me…what dreams, hopes or giant wish keeps you up at night? Think back to when you were a kid, and you dreamed of becoming a _______ when you grew up. If you’re still stuck, think about whatever it is, something you could do all day and lose track of time. What is that thing that makes your heart beat fast.
Next, is your dream, hope or giant wish something you are pursuing? If yes, WOOHOO and three CHEERS for you!!! We celebrate your success and hope you are intentionally serving and encouraging others with your giftedness. If not, why? This life is not a dress rehearsal. You’ve lived a life of regret long enough. GO! PURSUE all God has for YOU!
As for me…. Well because it’s only fair that we play by the same rules:
- How long is too long to put something off? I don’t know. What I am discovering is this- if God has assigned it- He’ll not be deterred. I know that I know, that I know, I am to share our story because each and every single time, (no lie) that I have tried to quit… He has used one of you to say, “Keep going. This space matters. Others need your story.”
- How concerned am I with what others think of me? Well, apparently a lot more concerned than I once thought. Maybe it’s my age? Maybe it’s that I’m home more and in the public less? Maybe it’s Satan being superb at what he does, but I type and delete. I place a comma and wonder if it’s supposed to be a semicolon or nothing at all. I record a podcast but don’t publish. I speak up and wish I’d listened more. I volunteer and feel overwhelmed. It’s a constant tug-o-war.
- What keeps me from pursuing my dream? I’m pretty sure I am seeking it, but at a much slower pace than I prefer or am accustomed. Others days I question if I’m doing anything right and then I remember or am reminded: my boys. They are the reason I left my job and came home. Not to write a book, or pursue speaking, publish a podcast or blog. I came home to teach them while they’re little because they’re only little for a little while. I begged God for these two rowdy rascals, and He was gracious enough to answer. So I will continue to teach and train them and write when they are asleep. Speak when asked and am able.
Someone said recently, time matters.
I heard the same truth echoed on our new favorite show, Longmire (find it on Netflix-you won’t be sorry!), “Experience takes time. Don’t rush it.”
Neither of these statements lines up with the fast-paced-want-it-now-get-it-now-world that we are living. But they are nonetheless true.
Those who know me well know mornings aren’t my jam. I’m a night owl by choice but last week the flea market beckoned me to arise early. Oh man! Am I glad I did! I had walked out on the back porch to give the dogs a treat when the skylight caught my eye. I scurried back into the house to grab my phone only to return to a shot much more majestic than before. In mere seconds, the sky transformed from AMAZING to BREATHTAKING!
The light shifted again and left me wondering how long before I see another sunrise like that one reiterating the truth~ some things take time:
Pursuing a dream
Finding a godly companion
Landing the right job
Discovering the ministry that fits your giftedness
Writing a book
My prayer for you dear friends is to be encouraged as we consider the weight of these words:
In a right now world, some things take time.
Let’s encourage one another to pursue wholeheartedly all that God intends for us, trust that the tug-o-war will be worth it and believe He is at work in the wait.
Keep going friends. I believe in you!
P.S. Let me know if you see a book title in this post 🙂